Nana Journals

An anthology of some of the best writings, photos, and information pertaining to the Bangkok
nightlife featuring comments and highlights from the best blogs and websites on the subject.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Two Fat Farangs Leaving Pattaya

It goes without saying that Pattaya has its unsavoury side, and murders and suicides occur on an almost daily basis, sure, but you never hear about the amount of successful love stories that happen every day, or the sense of community spirit amongst the expat community.
With a population of over a quarter million people you’re going to have to take the rough with the smooth.

My only regrets about Pattaya is that I didn’t find it when I was in my twenties. Now, in some ways, the place seems a little wasted on me. All too often I clock a girl who takes my breath away. Literally. Just the mere thought of having to try and satisfy her leaves me short of breath.

I’ve had my heart broken a few times here, but these days I’d like to think that I’m a little more careful. It’s all too easy to think that the next one is “the one”, but it’s impossible for things to remain as sweet as they are in those first few months of courtship, so move on quickly, I say, with as little emotion as possible.

Running a bar has to be kept as stress-free as possible, so I’m always sure to keep my emotions and hormones in check. If any urges overcome me I just slide out for a soapy massage down the road.

It’s never going to make me rich this bar, I know. It ticks over and that’s good enough for me. I’ve got a cosy little flat upstairs, and about every other day Pu sends one of the girls up to clean up after me or do my laundry. I’m spoiled really.

Apart from the obvious differences in beauty, Western and Asian females are like two entirely different species. That’s not to say that all Asian ladies are perfect, far from it, but the percentage that pride themselves on taking care of their man far outnumbers the amount of western females who once upon time used to also share the same qualities......

(This was John's feelings at the beginning of the year. Since then he has found his Thai country girl, sold the bar in Pattaya, and is trying to buy a house in Udon so he can help with her college education. (See Shy Thai Girls)
His partner, Will, is content being on top of some mountain meditating.)

In their archives there is some interesting interviews they did.
And the infamous letter from John Eke, which states "There will be a 28 period where all foreigners will be given chance to leave, after that we will be arrested and deported within another 28 day period. After that all farangs will be shot on the spot."

Check them out before its gone entirely.
Two Fat Farangs

(photo from Trek Earth)

No comments: